We at Limoncello have always loved food ,which is why we chose to start a business where we work with it every day. From the founding of the deli in St John Street, Clerkenwell in 1993, we have always delighted in using small suppliers and finding produce that is made with love and integrity. You cannot really love food without caring for the environment, but inevitably food production is a relatively high energy activity and we are bound by health and safety regulations and the realities of working in London. We do what we can to minimize our businesses negative effect on the environment in the following ways:
- Although we are not totally organic, it is our practice to use organic and
fair-trade produce where possible.
- We use seasonal produce from the UK and Europe, and avoid too much emphasis on produce from further away, to reduce air miles.
- We have one vehicle (diesel, I’m afraid) and only use it locally-we tend to work for local customers so our delivery area is not wide, and we buy our produce from Borough market which is just up the road. For deliveries outside of our area we use a courier who uses low emission vehicles.
- Of course we minimize our waste by careful ordering and we tailor menus to the produce we have in stock
- We are extremely hot in turning off appliances and lights when not in use, in the kitchen and in the office.
- We use china/steel presentation plates where we can.
- Our disposables are paper or bioplastic which are biodegradable, and aluminum which is recyclable.
- We maintain our appliances on a regular basis to ensure that they are running efficiently.
- We return packaging to suppliers where they accept it, and recycle cardboard and paper.
- Where service staff are required we use local experienced people and so provide employment in our area (the Boroughs of Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets – we are on the border of all three!)